Tuesday, March 1, 2011

My Own In Memorium


Jane Russell
June 21, 1921 – February 28, 2011

Jane Russell, one of my all time favorite actresses passed away yesterday at age 89. Considering I had just written a post about the last US WWI veteran's passing...I thought I'd give them each their own day.

Jane Russell owned the word bombshell...for Pete's sake Howard Hughes designed a bra specifically for her! The insanely beautiful Russell held her own against Marylin Monroe (a life long friend) on the big screen in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (while simultaneously proving that ain't exactly so), and continually captivated audiences with her voice and sultry charm.

When I was a kid, sometimes my parents would take into Los Angeles or Hollywood and Highland (usually to go see a Disney movie at the El Capitan Theater). I use to love to to go across the street to Grauman's Chinese Theater to see the immortalized prints of the stars. My first stop was always to Marilyn Monroe's and Jane Russell's joint slab of cement where I'd stick my feet in hands where they had once places theirs. In fifth grade, my hands and feet fit into Marilyn's (which I don't know what that says about her or me exactly...I was probably a giant fifth grader)...now I'm probably more Jane Russell's size, except I don't think I could ever fill out a dress that that woman could. Some consider strange that a little kid, such as my (then) self, made a B line for an actress of the 1940-60s, but those are the people I cared about, and still do. Thanks to my grandma and parents, I grew up watching the real classics. (Right: Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russell making their mark in cement at Grauman's Chinese Theater, 1953. Photo credit)

I don't think I could say much about Jane Russell to do her adequate justice, so I'll let her do it for me.

(Academy of the Motion Picture Arts and Sciences...don't you dare forget Jane Russell in next years Oscar's In Memorium...we all know your issue with oversight.)


Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
: Ain't There Anyone Here for Love



Gentlemen Prefer Blondes: Bye Bye Baby



Gentlemen Prefer Blondes: Jane Russell as Marilyn Monroe skip to 8 minute mark



Gentlemen Prefer Blondes:

No comments:

Post a Comment